Tuesday, January 7, 2014

All The Kings' Horses

* This is a paper that I turned into Mrs Cole, so I thought it was fitting to start my blog of with. If you do not understand why, please look at my first post "Welcome to my Locked Box"*
My brother has a special kind of charm. One minute, he can knock me down and then defend me from anyone else who tries. He is my greatest friend and biggest foe. However, sibling revelries aside, it is always that friend who comes out on top. I can always count on him to lift me up when I am down and know just what to say to make it right. Never has there been a time when I have been forced to question his love or where I stand with him. I know that we can fight tooth and nail, and in the end, I can still run to him with every worry. Every girl needs a brother like mine, and I would gladly share him with the world. Like a knight of the round table, he guards my heart and soul with valor and might.
As I sit typing this paper, I remembered that exactly one year ago today, I called my brother with tears choking my voice. In a tale as old as time, I found myself with a very broken heart. Yes
The only thing I wanted to do was run into his arms. At this point, he lived out of the state, so I settled for a phone call. It was a Saturday night, and he was out with friends, yet he picked up the phone after only a few rings. When he heard the pain in my voice, he stepped away from his friends and found the time to heal me. He listened to me sob and tell my tale. When he spoke, it felt genuine and not at all patronizing. In the most subtle way he helped me through sadness and anger, and when the time was right, he knew how to make me laugh. Soon I was in stitches as we planned an attack of the Russian mafia on this unlucky fellow. In the space of an hour, he put me together again.When all the kings’ horses and all the kings' men could not, my brother picked up my pieces and made me whole.

My brother has never held a sword, but he will always be a solder in my eyes. The foes he brings down are so much greater than armies, they are the fears and insecurity of a teenage girl. He fights off broken hearts, crushed dreams and crippling fears. If he had been present the day poor Humpty Dumpty took his fall, maybe he could have been put together again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment